[cups] el capitan cups client

Helge Blischke helgeblischke at web.de
Thu Jul 21 12:21:35 PDT 2016

> Am 21.07.2016 um 03:23 schrieb Bob Burton <bobburton at math.arizona.edu>:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a cups print server running on Debian wheezy.  I've configured
> Ubuntu and Windows clients to print to it.  Now I'm trying to configure an
> OS X El Capitan client to print to it.   I tweaked the cupsd.conf file to
> match my Ubuntu client setup, but El Capitan is ignoring me--it doesn't see
> the printers on the wheezy print server, but does come up with a list of
> bonjour printers that I'd rather not see at all (mostly ink jet printers
> hooked up to desktops and inadvertently shared).
>
> Am I trying to do something unnatural?  Do I really need to add all the
> printers through the system preferences GUI?  The print drivers need to be
> installed locally?  Seems brutally painful…

Bob,

I think on your print server you need to
a) cupsctl —share-printers
b) lpadmin -p printer -o printer-is-shared=true	# for each printer to share
c) properly configure avahi to advertise (among others) the service "_ipp._tcp“ .

El Capitan runs cups 2.1.0 and supports only DNSSD for printer sharing
(I’d not recommend to compile cups-browsed from the cups-filters package from
openprinting on your El Capitan box(es).

Helge