[cups] programmatically detect network printer power state

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Jun 2 08:04:25 PDT 2016

Hello

On Jun 2 14:34 Boncek, John wrote (excerpt):
> ... not germane to the discussion ...
> users who need ... be given a clue as to why
> the printer might not be responding if it isn't.

I think some basic background information is germane
to such a discussion because it helps others so much
when they know the basic reasoning behind a particular
technical issue.

I agree that knowing the reasoning behind is not always
required to answer a question in a pure technical way
(but often it is required for a pure technical answer).

I think revealing your personal reasoning behind
is more like some kind of courtesy meant for others
so that they can better understand you.

In particular I personally like to better understand
all those zillions different use-cases "out there"
because that helps me to better support our (i.e. SUSE's)
customers and users when they have printing issues.

This is my basic reasoning why I listen here and why
I try to help ( even non-SUSE users ;-) because each
issue helps me to get a better "holistic understanding".

Simply put:
>From my personal point of view you "pay" for free help
with public revealing your personal reasoning behind.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)