[cups] Problem with Canon MG5550 printer

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Jun 4 05:20:51 PDT 2016

Helge Blischke wrote:

>> I recently acquired a Canon Pixma MG5550 printer.
>> I've set it up to access wirelessly, on my LAN.
>>
>> It works perfectly under Window-10,
>> but under Fedora-24/CUPS it says it has printed 26% of the file,
>> and then hangs.
>> I'm using the MG5500_Series ppd file offered by CUPS.
>> It seems this does not work properly, at least with my printer.
>>
>> I wonder if anyone has a similar Canon printer working under Linux CUPS,
>> preferable under Fedora or CentOS?
>>

> I’d suggest to install Gutenprint and then select the CUPS+Gutenprint-…
> PPD from the list in the CUPS web interface.
> But be aware that the Gutenprint list of supported printers tagged this
> printer as EXPERIMENTAL.

Actually the driver chosen by CUPS is gutenprint,
according to my /etc/cups/printers.conf:
  MakeModel Canon MG5500 series - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.11

I thought these Canon MG printers were quite common?
Canon claims the MG5550 runs under Linux.
Maybe I should try their driver ...

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net