[cups] Problem with Canon MG5550 printer

Gernot Hassenpflug aikishugyo at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 07:58:24 PDT 2016

On Sat, Jun 4, 2016 at 9:20 PM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:

> Helge Blischke wrote:
>
> >> I recently acquired a Canon Pixma MG5550 printer.

/../
Hi Timothy,
Thanks for the report, but best ro report to gutenprint mailing list.

>> but under Fedora-24/CUPS it says it has printed 26% of the file,
> >> and then hangs.
> >> I'm using the MG5500_Series ppd file offered by CUPS.
> >> It seems this does not work properly, at least with my printer.
> >>
> >> I wonder if anyone has a similar Canon printer working under Linux CUPS,
> >> preferable under Fedora or CentOS?
> >>

> > I’d suggest to install Gutenprint and then select the CUPS+Gutenprint-…
> > PPD from the list in the CUPS web interface.
> > But be aware that the Gutenprint list of supported printers tagged this
> > printer as EXPERIMENTAL.
>
> Actually the driver chosen by CUPS is gutenprint,
> according to my /etc/cups/printers.conf:
>   MakeModel Canon MG5500 series - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.11
>
> I thought these Canon MG printers were quite common?
> Canon claims the MG5550 runs under Linux.
> Maybe I should try their driver ...

You should use the Canon driver for full functionality (whatever that means
according to Canon), since the gutenprint driver is experimental,
reverse-engineered, and without any colour calibration.

If you desire help with gutenprint (fixing any bugs in the driver would be
one thing that would be a result of any such activity) please post to the
gutenprint mailing list, along with all the medai, size, resolution mode
name, colour selection, duplex, borderless and whatever other settings you
can tell from the printer (CUPS) interface. Plus the CUPS debug log output
to prove that is what the driver actually uses.
Regards,
Gernot Hassenpflug