[cups] Fedora does not discover Printers

Brian Potkin claremont102 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 16:09:10 PDT 2016

On Sat 04 Jun 2016 at 16:08:33 -0400, Brett I. Holcomb wrote:

> On Sat, 2016-06-04 at 20:02 +0100, Brian Potkin wrote:
> > Install avahi-daemon on server and clients. Install cups-browsed on the
> >

> > clients. Read documention for cups-browsed.

Also read cups-browsed.conf because it is uncertain whether you need
BrowseAllow if the server is doing only Bonjour broadcasting.

> Did that earlier today.  In client I set BrowseAllow as all  and had to
> add a Browsepoll for the server.  The server file was left as is but it
> still did not work.  That let the client see the printers but the print
> button was grayed out.  I finally found a bug report (https://bugs.debi
> an.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=530027) in which changing ServerAlias
> to * worked for some and it did for me.  Once I added that to the
> server /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and restarted cups the print button was no
> longer grayed out.  Based on the cups docs this is probably not a good
> thing since it allows all but it works.
> The server actual host name is x.sub.mydomain.net and it has a CNAME of
> prtsrv1.sub.mydomain.net which is what I put in BrowsePoll.   The
> server /etc/cups/cupsd.conf file has ServerName x.sub.mydomain.net and
> I tried ServerAlias of prtsrv1.sub.mydomain.net and while that allows
> WebUI access the cups log file complained about the client using an
> invalid host and listing x.sub.mydomain.net:631 as the invalid host.
>  Changing to ServerAlias * fixed that.
> Now to find out why  a simple text file print gives me huge font.
> Thanks for the help.

I snipped too much of your first mail and lost sight of

  >...since my Fedora client is on a different subnet than the server.

I have no experience of dealing with avahi broadcasting between subnets,
The daemon has a "reflector" option which might be what you need and
this might be useful:

  https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7015851

Regards,

Brian.