[cups] CUPS 2.2.x drops interface scripts - How to create filtered queues without PPD

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Jun 15 06:27:01 PDT 2016

Matthias,

> On Jun 15, 2016, at 5:09 AM, Matthias Apitz <guru at unixarea.de> wrote:
> Michael,
>
> While I understand to upload my own or vendor provided PPD file through
> the web interface, which ends up in a directory /usr/local/etc/cups/ppd
> on my FreeBSD system, I do not fully understand how I could upload
> additional code to /usr/local/etc/cups/interfaces (perhaps, because I
> never did so). Could you please shed some light on this? Thanks

When adding or modifying a printer, cupsd accepts an attached file (typically a PPD file) to use for the printer. Previously cupsd examined the file - PPD files were copied to the ServerRoot/ppd directory while all other files were treated as interface scripts and copied to the ServerRoot/interfaces directory and given execute permissions.