[cups] Autoselect correct PPD on Mac OS X?

Douglas Kosovic doug at uq.edu.au
Mon Jun 27 02:17:27 PDT 2016

Hi Julian,

> > I've also created Wide Area Bonjour entries in DNS with exactly the
> > same data output by the server, however it seems that anything stated
> > in my entries is ignored by the client - it just queries the server
> > and then the printer itself, and only uses the _ipp._tcp (and cups and
> > universal) entries to find the server.
> >
> > Can please you help me figure out what's missing, or how I can change
> > my config so that the client pays attention to the CUPS server and
> > either downloads the PPD from the server or uses a
> > previously-installed version on the local drive
> (/Library/Printers/PPD/Contents/Resources/)?
> >
> > And why does it work some of the time, or only on specific OSes?

I suspect it's related to latency and timeouts, for Macs closest to our server room, it's not an issue, but for the ones further away and on VPN, they sometimes have to try up to 3 times before seeing the correct printer type and not generic.

I think the timeout might be shorter on some versions of OS X, so are more prone to the issue.

Cheers,
Doug