[cups] Understanding Printing

Matt Broughton walterwego at macosx.com
Mon Jun 27 08:55:36 PDT 2016

> On Jun 27, 2016, at 2:45 AM, Johannes Meixner <jsmeix at suse.de> wrote:
>

> On Jun 25 12:23 Andrew wrote (excerpt):
>> The page you refer to does not address my question!
>
> The page addresses your question.
> Read it.

I think Andrew is still trying to find the answer to his question that he first posted on June 17th in another thread "Advice Needed" --

>> I am new to CUPS and do not know where to post my question, or even what version of CUPS I am using.
>> I am trying to determine the ink levels in my Epson Stylus SX100 printer.
>> I am using escputil, but when I enter the path given by the localhost:631, no directories are found.
>> I am using the path:
>> usb://EPSON/Stylus%20SX100?serial=KQEZ387420&interface=1
>> I use the kubuntu operating system

While `escputil` is part of Gutenprint and not CUPS, I am not sure that anyone at Gutenprint can answer platform specifics for its use.

escputil requires writing to a `--raw device` rather than using a print queue.  man escputil indicates that an example of this is /dev/lp0.  It appears that /dev/lp0 is not part of kubuntu.

In the original thread, I did suggest that he follow up on the appropriate list for his distro.

Matt