[cups] Understanding Printing

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Jun 28 00:11:47 PDT 2016

Hello,

On Jun 27 10:55 Matt Broughton wrote (excerpt):
> escputil requires writing to a `--raw device` rather than
> using a print queue.  man escputil indicates that an example
> of this is /dev/lp0.  It appears that /dev/lp0 is not part
> of kubuntu.

The /dev/lp0 device node belongs to the first parallel port.
For USB the device node would be something like /dev/usb/lp0.

Whether or not device nodes like /dev/lp0 or /dev/usb/lp0
exist depend on the Linux kernel. More precisely it depends on
whether or not appropriate device drivers exist which means
usually whether or not appropriate kernel modules are loaded
that implement the device drivers.

For more information what particular kernel modules should be
loaded for device nodes like /dev/lp0 or /dev/usb/lp0 see
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Installing_a_Printer

Since udev the way how device nodes are created changed
and changes all the time so that nowadays one might have
to additionally deal with udev rules to get device nodes.

> In the original thread, I did suggest that he follow up on
> the appropriate list for his distro.

This would be the actually right way to go.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)