[cups] What is the preferd method to connect cups 1.7.5 to cups 1.3.9

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Mar 1 01:18:00 PST 2016

Hallo Franz,

some additions:

On Feb 26 18:08 Pförtsch, Franz wrote (excerpt):
> It was working for hours, suddenly the spooljobs get stucked
> in the <local-queue>. The status of the queue was processing
> and the spooljobs showed "Data file sent successfully."

You need to find out what exactly lets sometimes a particular
print job not finish in your particular environment.

One way (cf. my last mail) are meaningful CUPS debug messages
(i.e. with "LogLevel debug") from about that time when the
job got stucked.

Additionally while a job is currently stucked I want to know
which processes are running for that particular stucked job.

The command

# grep PID /var/log/cups/error_log

shows the processes for each job. I need only the processes
for the stucked job.

With "LogLevel debug" one gets additionally CUPS debug
messages how each job-process finished like:
I ... [Job 123] Started backend
  /usr/lib/cups/backend/lpd (PID 1234)
D ... PID 1234 (/usr/lib/cups/backend/lpd)
  exited with no errors.

I would expect that for a stucked job at least the CUPS
backend process is still running because a print job is
finished for the cupsd as soon as the backend process
has finished.

The only condition that I can currently imagine why a
job is stucked is that one of its job-processes does not
finish - either that a filtering process runs endlessly
or (more likely) that the backend process runs endlessly.

When the backend process runs endlessly for a stucked job
as next step you need to find out what exactly causes that
the backend process runs endlessly for that particular
print job in your particular environment.

Often when it mainly works but sometimes a backend process
runs endlessly for a particular print queue, the reason is
that the recipient (usually a printer device) does sometimes
not correctly tell the backend process that the print job data
was completely received - or something like that.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)