[cups] printing from CUPS 2.0.3 with LPD to a Windows 8.1 box USB printer

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Wed Mar 2 11:57:24 PST 2016

Hello,

I have a problem in one of my installations which is perhaps not a real
CUPS problem, but a Windows problem. I hope that someone has the time to
read the lines and some idea how to solve it.

The print scenario is:

cups 2.0.3 ---> Win8.1 --> USB printer HPDeskjet2510

In Win8.1 the LPD service is configured and a printer share named 'LPD' which prints
fine in Win8.1 to the USB device HPDeskjet2510.

In CUPS a printer 'lpd' is configured as lpd://ip-addr/LPD and as Generic
Postscript Printer.

A print in FreeBSD with cups 2.0.3 as:

$ date | lpr -Plpd

is resulting in a completely correct TCP stream to port 515 of the
Win8.1 box (it can be checked from here: http://www.unixarea.de/tcpdump_lpd.txt );
the job is transfered as Postscript file to the Win8.1;
but in Windows the job gets stuck and does not print. I'm attaching
two screens.

Any hints are welcome. Thanks in advance.

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru at unixarea.de, ⌂ http://www.unixarea.de/  ☎ +49-176-38902045