[cups] printing from CUPS 2.0.3 with LPD to a Windows 8.1 box USB printer

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Wed Mar 2 22:44:48 PST 2016

El día Wednesday, March 02, 2016 a las 11:05:47PM +0100, Helge Blischke escribió:

> This printer does not speak PostScript. In a UNIX Environment it
> must be configured with hplip

Helge,

Thanks for your kind reply. I have two questions:

1) I understand that some printers (like the one in question) does not
understand PostScript. But shouldn't the printer in this case just print
the PostScript code as text, perhaps with the stair effect?
What will happen if I just print text in raw mode to the Win8.1, with

date | lpr -Ppdf -o raw

2) I have to compile in FreeBSD the port print/hplip (and some others
this depends on, like net-mgmt/net-snmp, ...). How this will integrate with
CUPS and what kind of output language at the end of the day will be send
to the Win8.1 box?

Thanks for some enlightenment?

	matthias

--