[cups] printing from CUPS 2.0.3 with LPD to a Windows 8.1 box USB printer

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Mar 3 01:23:27 PST 2016

Hello,

On Mar 3 07:44 Matthias Apitz wrote (excerpt):

> 1) I understand that some printers (like the one in question)
> does not understand PostScript. But shouldn't the printer
> in this case just print the PostScript code as text,
> perhaps with the stair effect?

It depends on the particular non-PostScript printer model
what it does when it gets non-PostScript data.

> What will happen if I just print text in raw mode
> to the Win8.1, with
>   date | lpr -Ppdf -o raw

In general it depends on the particular printer model
what it does when it gets data that is not in one of
its native (i.e. supported) formats.

Often cheap printers ignore all data that is not
in its one single native format.

More high-end printers support often various different
kind of data formats (e.g. PDF, PostScript, PCL) and
fall back to plain text printout for any unknown
data format.

To find out whether or not your particular printer model
prints PostScript or ASCII as plain text, connect it to
a Unix/Linux computer and send PostScript or plain ASCII
directly to the printer, for Linux cf. "USB printers" in
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Installing_a_Printer

But you wrote in your initial mail:

> the job is transfered as Postscript file to the Win8.1;
> but in Windows the job gets stuck and does not print.

What does "the job gets stuck" mean?

Does it mean there is a print job in Windows and that
one does not get printed?

If yes, I cannot help because I do not know how to
debug printing issues under Windows.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)