[cups] printing from CUPS 2.0.3 with LPD to a Windows 8.1 box USB printer

Helge Blischke helgeblischke at web.de
Thu Mar 3 01:57:09 PST 2016

> Am 03.03.2016 um 07:44 schrieb Matthias Apitz <guru at unixarea.de>:
>
> El día Wednesday, March 02, 2016 a las 11:05:47PM +0100, Helge Blischke escribió:
>
>> This printer does not speak PostScript. In a UNIX Environment it
>> must be configured with hplip
>
> Helge,
>
> Thanks for your kind reply. I have two questions:
>
> 1) I understand that some printers (like the one in question) does not
> understand PostScript. But shouldn't the printer in this case just print
> the PostScript code as text, perhaps with the stair effect?
> What will happen if I just print text in raw mode to the Win8.1, with
>
> date | lpr -Ppdf -o raw
It depends on what the Win based driver does with data the printer won’t understand directly.

> 2) I have to compile in FreeBSD the port print/hplip (and some others
> this depends on, like net-mgmt/net-snmp, ...). How this will integrate with
> CUPS and what kind of output language at the end of the day will be send
> to the Win8.1 box?
The PPD for that printer supplied with hplip contains the line
*cupsFilter: „application/vnd-cups-raster 0 hpcups“where hpcups is one of the filters the hplip
package supplies.
When trying to compile hplip on the FreeBSD machine, note that Python (>= 2.3, I think) is required,
and the build claims for libusb support. You either need to install libusb, if possible (though you don’t
need it for this special installation) or hack the build system to bypass libusb testing.