[cups] printing from CUPS 2.0.3 with LPD to a Windows 8.1 box USB printer

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Sat Mar 5 10:14:21 PST 2016

El día Saturday, March 05, 2016 a las 09:37:27AM +0100, Helge Blischke escribió:

> > I'm now (after this test with XP) unsure, if it is not as well a CUPS issue not
> > being able to produce something that the print (HP DeskJet 2510) can
> > understand...
> >
> > 	Matthias
> >
> Looking into the sources of HP’s HPLIP package, especially looking after what
> the hpcups filter does, reveals that this printer speaks a language „PCL3GUI“.
> This is sort of a proprietary language which has only some syntactic resemblance
> to what HP has published as PCL3 but is neither a subset nor a superset of that.
>
> I’d suggest to compile that hpcups filter from the sources (you probably need to tweak
> the build system to some extent for bypassing the libusb stuff on the FreeBSD box)
> and then configure the printer using the lad backend with the option „format=l“ in the
> device_uri.
>
> For testing, you could even generate such a printer stream on a Linux box and
> print it as raw data to the Windows box, just to be sure if the printer behaves as expected.

We have had success printing from FreeBSD to the Win LPDSVC a prepared
print stream with 'lpr -Plpd -o raw file'. This proofs that all is fine
when the generated print stream is fine.

I compiled and installed already the FreeBSD port print/hplib (package
is hplip-3.14.10_1.txz) and can now see a lot of types of HP printers in
the CUPS' web interface when adding a new printer (because the LPDs are
installed). I can not run own tests now, but I think when the packages
are installed as well on the environment in question, all will be fine.
I will report here.

A special thanks to Helge for the support here and off-list.

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru at unixarea.de, ⌂ http://www.unixarea.de/  ☎ +49-176-38902045