[cups] CUPS Has Moved to Github!

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Mar 17 10:41:19 PDT 2016

Johannes,

> On Mar 17, 2016, at 10:58 AM, Johannes Meixner <jsmeix at suse.de> wrote:
> A question only out of curiosity:
>
> Isn't Apple afraid that all "meta-information" about CUPS
> (like issues and pull requests with all their associated
> discussions and user comments that exist only on Github
> but do usually not exist as actual git log comments)
> is no longer under Apple's control?

No.

CUPS has always been an open source/community project, but there have always been issues sharing CUPS contributions between developers.  I'm hoping that having CUPS on Github will help to make all of those pull requests/forks/patch sets more visible to the community and Apple - it will help raise our awareness of common changes that are used for the various operating systems (that maybe should be rolled into the core CUPS source code), perhaps identify changes that have unwanted side-effects/bugs, and make it easier for everyone to develop, test, and contribute changes in the future.

Apple (just as Easy Software Products did before it) will continue to set the direction for and make releases of CUPS, integrating contributions as needed.  The only difference is that now we'll be able to "publish" our direction in the Github wiki (still setting *that* up) and make releases from the Github repository instead of the old Subversion repository - that way everyone sees what is coming up before we even make a release.

As for security bugs, those will continue to be handled privately on Apple's internal systems and coordinated with the various Linux distributions and OS vendors until they can be publicly disclosed.