[cups] Brother MFC-L8850CDW

Peter Gantt peter.scott.gantt at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 23 11:29:26 PDT 2016

Does anyone have the Brother MFC-L8850CDW working?

On Debian 8, cups detects it via Bonjour.

The model isn't then in the list during "Add Printer".

For Model, "Brother DCP-1200" is selected by default, but I don't if that's
because it's a suggestion, or just at the top of the Brother list.  Going
with this suggestion, and trying a test page, results in 'processing since
Wed Mar 23 19:19:46 2016  "Printing page 1, 6%"', followed by '"The printer
is not responding."'

Instead, I tried the "Or Provide a PPD File" during the model selection
step.  The PPD file I used was brother_mfcl8850cdw_printer_en.ppd, which I
extracted from the mfcl8850cdwlpr-1.1.2-1.i386.deb package file, which I
downloaded from Brother.

Now, under Manage Printers, Status shows 'Idle - "File
"/usr/lib/cups/filter/brother_lpdwrapper_mfcl8850cdw" not available: No
such file or directory"' (this error message, inconveniently, is not
available on the page for the actual printer - you have to go to the
overview "Manage Printers" page to see it).

Trouble is, I don't know from where I would
get brother_lpdwrapper_mfcl8850cdw, or what type of file it is.

I connected a Mac to the same network and it printed a test page no problem.

  thanks, PSG