[cups] Brother MFC-L8850CDW

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Mar 29 01:47:38 PDT 2016

Hello,

On Mar 24 22:01 Ruben De Smet wrote (excerpt):
> On 03/24/2016 09:35 PM, Peter Gantt wrote:
>>
>> Ruben wrote:
>>
>>> You cannot just use the ppd file. The .deb files include binary
>>> blobs/executables (x86) and shell scripts
>>> (brother_lpdwrapper_mfcl8850cdw) which are called by the ppd file.
>>
>> Wow, nasty.  Horrific.
>>
>> If I sacrifice a small print server to be infested with this shitware, can
>> it then share the printer as a generic printer?  Or will every client
>> require the proprietary goop?  Whenever I've shared printers in the past,
>> clients have required the driver for that particular model, rather than
>> something generic.
>
> I have done something similar with an Oki and experienced that too. I
> think you can hack things together so it works as a regular PS printer
> though. I have no clue how.

I don't know anything about that particular device.

In general be warned that some devices that look like
printers cannot be used as regular printers because some
devices require continuous bidirectional communication
with their special matching driver software while such
devices are making the printout.

A regular printer works with unidirectional communication.
I.e. you can simply send the printing data to the printer
and it will produce a printout on its own. For example you
can make the printing data on one computer and then transport
the printing data via network to another computer that finally
only forwards the printing data to the printer.

In contrast some devices do not work this way. They need
continuous bidirectional communication with their special
matching driver software while making the printout.

Such devices cannot be used with a printserver box in between.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)