[cups] Brother MFC-L8850CDW

Brian Potkin brian at copernicus.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 29 14:40:23 PDT 2016

On Tue 29 Mar 2016 at 21:16:15 +0200, Ruben De Smet wrote:

> But, instead of calling "incompetence", please enlighten us on how to
> setup such a shared printer. Me too, I would be interested in putting it
> behind a Raspberry Pi so I can print in peace.

Install the Brother .debs and let CUPS do the rest. If you have a
particular problem it should be in another post,

> I refuse to see how Brother "supports" Linux. You can download a driver
> that is everything but up to date, requires manual unpacking and
> tweaking, contains a lot of binary blobs, and _very_ badly written C
> code and bash scripts.

I'm trying to imagine the outpouring of vitriol if there was no support
whatsoever.

> And by the way, whether you like binary blobs or not, they tend to be
> linked with other libraries on your system. If those libraries change,
> those binary blobs will stop working. If this blob is for Intel CPU's
> and I have a Raspberry PI, it will not work.
>
> The reason Peter writes this is not to insult Brother, but rather to
> discourage people from buying any products from them. The support -
> except from a technical guy I had on mentioned e-mail - was and is
> extremely bad.
>
> It's a pity, because the printer itself, when it works, works very well.
>
> So, Mr. Potkin, please refrain yourself from posting to public mailing
> lists only for insulting other people.

In replying to a mail without technical content one can decide on either
robustness or sycophancy. We have both made our choice.