[cups] Brother MFC-L8850CDW

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Mar 30 02:33:29 PDT 2016

Hello,

On Mar 29 23:27 Ruben De Smet wrote (excerpt):
> On 03/29/2016 10:47 AM, Johannes Meixner wrote:
>> ... some devices ... need
>> continuous bidirectional communication with their special
>> matching driver software while making the printout.
>>
>> Such devices cannot be used with a printserver box in between.
>
> Why can't the print server act as the bidirectional
> communication box, after having received a full
> postscript document?

At least for me "print server" != "printserver box", cf.
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printing_via_TCP/IP_network
(excerpt):
A special device with a TCP/IP network connection and
one or more parallel or USB connections for parallel
port or USB printers is called a printserver box.

A printer with a built-in TCP/IP network interface
is called a network printer. Basically a network printer
as a printserver box built in.

In contrast to a printserver box a print server machine
means a real computer which offers a print service.

When any device needs any kind of special program that
must run on a computer to make that device working,
that special program is usually called a "driver"
for that device.

When you can run special driver software on a particular
printserver box, devices that need such a special driver
will work with that printserver box.

But usually you cannot install and run special software
on a printserver box which is the reason why such devices
can usually not be used with a printserver box in between.

In contrast when a print server is a real computer where
you can install and run driver software for such devices,
then you can use such devices with a print server.

Usually a precondition is that the device is directly
connected to the computer where its driver runs so that
the driver can directly communicate with its device.

Usually it does no longer work for such devices when
there is "something in between" the computer where its
driver software runs and the device.

Of course it will work when that "something in between"
perfectly forwards all communication between driver and
device - i.e. when that "something in between" is perfectly
transparent for the driver and its device, for example
usual USB hubs or usual networking hubs/switches/gateways
provided there is no traffic filtering (e.g. firewall).

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)