[cups] Printing cups -> ipp -> cups -> usb with local drivers

Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov cups at mva.name
Wed Mar 30 13:36:58 PDT 2016

> Helge, if you have a raw queue pointing to a remote CUPS queue with a
> PPD, the CUPS on the client automatically polls the PPD options from the
> server and they get displayed in the client's print dialogs. No PPD and
> especially no edited PPD needed on the client.

Although printer is configuring fine (and even autodetects driver, and even
using needed filters (commandtoepson) locally) with "raw queue" driver,
somewhy printer doesn't work as expected: if I trying to print something —
jobs are just silently marks as finished (while printer doesn't print
anything) and nothing new appears in process list. And if I trying to "clean
print heads" — printer showing "Printing" screen (printing, but not
"cleaning"! O_O ) and either cancels it after a few seconds, or freezing on
"Printing" screen (canceling doesn't work, and even after pressing poweroff
button - it freezing on "powering off" screen and can be freezed for an hour
(and may be longer). Only manual power cable reattaching fixing the situation.

While Generic/IPP_Everywhre makes it to work normally (althouth, with
duplicating every job), and Generic/Foomatic_Postscript seems to print
normally, but unable to clean heads.

So... Unfortunatelly, "Raw Queue" isn't a solution (until this is a bug).

--
wbr,
mva