[cups] Printing cups -> ipp -> cups -> usb with local drivers

Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov cups at mva.name
Thu Mar 31 07:37:42 PDT 2016

В письме от четверг, 31 марта 2016 г. 12:17:48 NOVT пользователь Johannes
Meixner написал:
> Hello,
>
> On Mar 31 02:36 Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov wrote (excerpt):
> > ... Generic/Foomatic_Postscript seems to print normally,
>
> q.e.d. - cf.
> http://www.cups.org/pipermail/cups-devel/2015-September/016450.html

Yes, that was my thread. And I do remember discussion results.

> In general when sending printer-specific data to a CUPS server
> one must ensure that no duplicate filtering happens.

Yes. But... Can somebody explain how do it work with windows and also how does
it worked until CUPS-1.6? Wasn't there doublefiltering in that situations?

> > but unable to clean heads.
> > So... Unfortunatelly, "Raw Queue" isn't a solution
> > (until this is a bug).
>
> "Unfortunatelly" your kind of setup cannot work reliably.

Yup. But there is no sarcasm here. It is really unfortunatelly and strange,
until there is some argumentation (which was missed by me and Simon), why did
it work in CUPS<1.6 (although, I don't already remember which of two CUPS is
enough to downgrade), and can't work now (between CUPSes, while it *do* work
between CUPS and Windows. *With* filters)/

> You cannot have two drivers in a row and expect that it
> "magically just works" and on top of that additionally
> expect that special printer maintenance functionality
> ("clean heads") even works indirectly via network
> for a "dumb" USB printer.
Yeah. It is pretty logical. But it interfers with the fact it *did* work some
years ago.

> Do printer maintenance functionality on the computer
> where the USB printer is directly connected to and
> on clients in the network use the recommended setup for
> clients in the network (cf. Till Kamppeter's postings)
> or submit printer-specific data to a raw queue on
> the CUPS server to avoid duplicate filtering.

By the way, thanks for the reminder (I wanted to ask then for a long time
already): can you advice me, how can I initiate heads cleaning with CUPS cli
commands (without touching web-interface).

Unfortunatelly, my google-fu seems to be broken, and I still can't find the
answer there :(

--
wbr,
mva