[cups] IP110 printer left margin too small Kubuntu 16.04

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Thu May 5 12:06:53 PDT 2016

Hans van der Leeuw schreef op 05-05-2016 20:52:
> Hello Xen,
> There is a lot of help available regarding LibreOffice (LO), also in
> Dutch.
>
> Google is your friend; search for:
> libreoffice margins
>
> Suc6

I just told you I didn't need help with LibreOffice. I need help with
everything else because I cannot always adjust margins, and if I do, I
need to adjust them each and every time in the printer settings, which
is often a guess.

Currently the best solution I have is to just send the output to PDF and
then try to transform the PDF in case there is enough margins for that
in the document (most notably the left margin of course, because it gets
reduced).

So what I mean is that I am now using:

gs \
   -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dSAFER \
   -dCompatibilityLevel="1.3" -dPDFSETTINGS="/printer" \
   -dSubsetFonts=true -dEmbedAllFonts=true \
   -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -sOutputFile="out.pdf" \
   -c "<</BeginPage{21.5 0 translate}>> setpagedevice" \
   -f in.pdf

To shift my PDF 21.5 PS points to the right, and then it prints
perfectly whatever program I am using without having to adjust the
margins all the time, and based on math rather than good luck and
endless retrying.

I am not sure it is going to work for Kate sources (imagine printing
everything to PDF before you can actually print it) because Kate uses
smaller margins to begin with, so I have experimentally determined that
I need to set the left margin to 0.55" and the right I am not sure yet
(something like 0.06"). But I might do the same for Kate as well.

It is not a real solution but at least it allows me to print without too
much wasted time.

I think I will create a script called "shiftright.sh" that just takes an
input parameter and then shifts it to the right and creates an
$1-shifted.pdf as a result. Ideally maybe it would also send it directly
to the printer.

Or just open it in Okular, that would be good too. Just trying to make a
bad situation a bit less bad ;-).

My printer also doesn't remember margin settings (the software doesn't)
so I need to do it in this way.

Regards, Bart.