[cups] New printer difficulty identified

Brian Potkin claremont102 at gmail.com
Thu May 5 16:31:50 PDT 2016

On Thu 05 May 2016 at 14:58:07 -0400, Alan McConnell wrote:

> On Thu, May 05, 2016 at 04:03:26PM +0100, Brian Potkin wrote:
> >
> > >      /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoufr2cpca
> > > doesn't exist.  This is a True Fact<G>.
> >
> > You have a PPD file for this printer.
>         I do.  Saved in a backup before I did the jessie install.
>
> > It likely has a *cupsFilter line
> > which mentions "pstoufr2cpca". Please would you confirm this?
>   	<LOL>  I deconfirm this!  I have run a sequence of error-testing
> 	which has wound me up with a file that says my problem is:
> 	I don't have pstoufr2cpca.

A simple

  grep cupsFilter /etc/cups/ppd/whatever.ppd

would have beem sufficient.

Anyway, an MF4700 PPD is at

  https://github.com/krichter722/cndrvcups-lb/blob/master/ppd/CNCUPSMF4700ZJ.ppd

In it it has:

  *cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 pstoufr2cpca"

> > If the line is present it raises the question of how you ever got
> > any jobs printed on Wheezy if pstoufr2cpca is missing.
>          Good question.  I don't know.  When I installed wheezy, back
> 	 in 2014, I had printing difficulty at the beginning then, but
> 	 got it cleared up by getting in touch with people at Canon.
> 	 I can't remember how.  Unfortunately I never thought to back up
> 	 /usr/lib/cups/filter/
>
> > The specifications for your printer give the printer language (what CUPS
> > has to send to it) as UFR II LT. Please see the Printing section of the
> > Debian wiki. Canon do not seem to make it very easy to get your hands on
> > pstoufr2cpca (and other needed files) but at least they provide deb
> > files within a tarball (.tar.gz) which you can download from
> >
> >   http://support-au.canon.com.au/contents/AU/EN/0100270808.html
> 	! !  Yes.  I thank you for this.  I had found a similar
> 	file which purported to give me  pstoufr2cpca , but it
> 	was in Chinese.  ! !  I was going to post asking for a
> 	Chinese reader for help, when your instructions from
> 	Australia came in.
>
> > Install what you need with 'dpkg -i file.deb' and resolve dependencies
> > with 'apt-get -f install'.
>         Have done.  And I now have a file
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 33724 Apr 11 19:57 pstoufr2cpca*
>         nicely ensconced in my /usr/lib/cups/filter  directory.

Splendid.

> So I tried printing a four-line text file and got the response;
>     Error - scheduler not responding.

We suppose the scheduler is running:

  systemctl status cups.service

Otherwise, look at the error_log. Please see the Printing section of the
Debian wiki for advice on that.