[cups] Linux->(Linux, Windows) printer sharing with drivers on the server

Ivan Shapovalov intelfx at intelfx.name
Wed May 18 19:52:00 PDT 2016

Hello,

I'm trying to configure a LAN-wide shared printer for Linux (and
optionally Windows) clients using a dedicated Linux box as a print
server.

The printer itself (HP LJ P1505) is connected to the server by USB and
needs special drivers (either HPLIP or patched foomatic+foo2xqx, with
the latter option being faster). So, I want to configure the server
such that the clients won't need any special drivers to print.
On the other hand, the server is slow, and I want to minimize any post-
processing done on the server.

Hence I guess that the clients should use a "generic postscript" driver
(not a raw queue) and send postscript to the server, where it will be
post-processed to the printer-specific stream.

Another requirement is that the client configuring should be as
automated as possible (most of the clients are people with laptops
which come and go).

For Linux, I've tried to follow the official guide[1], using CUPS web
interface and avahi/dns-sd on clients for printer discovery, and this
turned into two problems:

1. the client tries to install an HP-specific PPD for the discovered
   printer (while we want a generic postscript driver);
2. the client defaults to "US Letter" paper size, while we use A4, and
   I want this setting to propagate from server to clients.

So: am I missing some obvious configuration steps? Either way, I'd like
it to advertise the correct parameters to clients. Is it possible?

Tips for configuring Linux->Windows sharing are also welcome, with same
requirements (no special client drivers + automated configuration).

[1]: https://cups.org/documentation.php/doc-2.1/sharing.html

Thanks,
--
Ivan Shapovalov / intelfx /