[cups] Linux->(Linux, Windows) printer sharing with drivers on the server

Brian Potkin claremont102 at gmail.com
Thu May 19 03:50:51 PDT 2016

On Thu 19 May 2016 at 05:52:00 +0300, Ivan Shapovalov wrote:

> Hello,

Hello Ivan.

> I'm trying to configure a LAN-wide shared printer for Linux (and
> optionally Windows) clients using a dedicated Linux box as a print
> server.
>
> The printer itself (HP LJ P1505) is connected to the server by USB and
> needs special drivers (either HPLIP or patched foomatic+foo2xqx, with
> the latter option being faster). So, I want to configure the server
> such that the clients won't need any special drivers to print.
> On the other hand, the server is slow, and I want to minimize any post-
> processing done on the server.
>
> Hence I guess that the clients should use a "generic postscript" driver
> (not a raw queue) and send postscript to the server, where it will be
> post-processed to the printer-specific stream.

If you have cups-filters on the server it will first convert PostScript
to a PDF file. I'd suggest you need a raw queue on the clients.

This thread might be useful for you:

  http://www.cups.org/pipermail/cups/2016-March/027610.html

> Another requirement is that the client configuring should be as
> automated as possible (most of the clients are people with laptops
> which come and go).

cups-browsed gives automatic setting up of raw print queues on a client.

> For Linux, I've tried to follow the official guide[1], using CUPS web
> interface and avahi/dns-sd on clients for printer discovery, and this
> turned into two problems:
>
> 1. the client tries to install an HP-specific PPD for the discovered
>    printer (while we want a generic postscript driver);

Select "Raw" as the "Make" of printer.

> 2. the client defaults to "US Letter" paper size, while we use A4, and
>    I want this setting to propagate from server to clients.

Set this on the server.

Regards,

Brian.