[cups] Linux->(Linux, Windows) printer sharing with drivers on the server

Ivan Shapovalov intelfx at intelfx.name
Thu May 19 05:16:35 PDT 2016

On 2016-05-19 at 14:13 +0200, Xen wrote:
> Johannes Meixner schreef op 19-05-2016 10:24:
>
> > I don't know about "automated configuration"
> > on Windows clients (I don't use Windows).
>
> I don't think there can be any form of automatic configuration of
> file
> shares on Windows without these devices (laptops) already being
> configured for it in some way.
>
> I don't think there is anything that says "obtain WINS data" and now
> "this share must be configured as X: automatically". The best you
> can
> get is probably either browsing to the "workgroup" workgroup (samba
> 'domain' I guess) or something else that I don't know anything
> about.
> Most windows computers always come configured with that "domain".
> Pretty
> much no one changes it. A random computer browsing to
> \\yourserverdns
> would quickly open your shares though. But I have never experienced
> any
> automatic configured system that way. I know there is stuff like
> "domain
> controller" and all of that; I don't know about it, but that too
> requires configuration on the client.
>
> "active directory".
>
> On a Windows computer you need to either choose being part of a
> "domain"
> or of a "working group" (whatever it is called). Just my no-nonsense
> no-knowledge! A normal Windows computer is not going to be
> configured
> for a "domain" and will just have WORKGROUP as its "working group".
>
> Any shares on there will be most easily accessible, but you already
> knew
> that, right? :P (at the OP).
>
> Regards.
>
> However if you set up a DNS gateway, aka hotspot, you might be able
> direct your users to that stuff. But that would work via a browser
> :p.
>
> You could at least inform them of it easily. "printer is here. Do
> this
> to use it. File shares are there. Do that to use them"
>
> Good luck with your printer setup, mister Ivan.

Hello,

yes, "navigate to that workgroup and use that printer" counts as
"easy", right.

Actually, the Linux->Windows part of the question looks like solved
(unless I hit an unforeseen problem in making windows install the right
drivers from print$ share).

What remains is telling the client to pick the right driver
in Linux->Linux discovery via dns-sd.

--
Ivan Shapovalov / intelfx /