[cups] Linux->(Linux, Windows) printer sharing with drivers on the server

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu May 19 05:31:20 PDT 2016

Hello,

On May 19 14:38 Ivan Shapovalov wrote (excerpt):
>>> 2. the client defaults to "US Letter" paper size,
>>>    while we use A4, and I want this setting to
>>>    propagate from server to clients.
>>
>> Set this on the server.
>
> It does not propagate, the printer created on the
> client as a result of automatic discovery
> gets "US Letter" size by default.

In general for "having fun" with default settings see
in particular "Different default paper size settings" at
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Print_Settings_with_CUPS

Again:
I don't know how things work on Windows clients
(because I don't use Windows).

Perhaps a SMB printer share might not have something
like a default paper size value so that one cannot
propagate a default paper size setting via SMB
printer shares to Windows clients?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)