[cups] Linux->(Linux, Windows) printer sharing with drivers on the server

Ivan Shapovalov intelfx at intelfx.name
Thu May 19 06:24:45 PDT 2016

On 2016-05-19 at 15:11 +0200, Johannes Meixner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On May 19 15:16 Ivan Shapovalov wrote (excerpt):
> > What remains is telling the client to pick the
> > right driverĀ in Linux->Linux discovery via dns-sd.
>
> Usually when printing from a Linux client with CUPS
> to a Linux CUPS server, no driver is run on the client,
> see "Differences in Printing between Windows and Linux" at
> https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printing_from_Windows_to_Linux

Yes, I understand this, and this is exactly what I want.
But this is _not_ how cups's _auto-discovery_ works.

(Again, I have no problems with achieving the desired configuration
manually. I'm seeking advice on how to convince auto-discovery to work
this way.)

> The precondition is that on the Linux CUPS server the
> print queues are set up as usual with a matching driver
> for each particular printer device.
>
> Furthermore Brian Potkin had mentioned
> This thread might be useful for you:
> http://www.cups.org/pipermail/cups/2016-March/027610.html
> and in that mail thread see in particular
> what Till Kamppeter wrote:
> http://www.cups.org/pipermail/cups/2016-March/027613.html
> http://www.cups.org/pipermail/cups/2016-March/027615.html

Yes, I've seen this, but the raw queues are not what I want, because my
print server is very underperformant (rendering a test PDF via a raw
queue takes ~3 minutes, while printing the same PDF with a postscript
driver on the host takes ~20 seconds).

Moreover -- even if I wanted raw queues, how to convince auto-discovery
to work this way? As of cups 2.1.3, auto-discovered printers by default
use the same _printer-specific_ driver, which simply fails because
client machines do not have the required ppds and filters.

Thanks,
--
Ivan Shapovalov / intelfx /