[cups] Linux->(Linux, Windows) printer sharing with drivers on the server

Brian Potkin claremont102 at gmail.com
Thu May 19 09:46:15 PDT 2016

On Thu 19 May 2016 at 17:49:58 +0300, Ivan Shapovalov wrote:

> There are four possible configurations for remote printing with cups:
> 0. Do not run cupsd on client, connect directly to cupsd on server
>    (ruled out because it is too invasive)

I was going to suggest you stick a note on a notice board with Alex
Korobkin's advice or the CUPS_SERVER environment variable on it but...:)

cupsd does not need to stopped.

Am I correct in assuming you have no control of clients wanting to
access the server?

> 1. Use printer-specific driver on client and "raw queue" on server,
>    send printer-specific data
> 2. Use "raw queue" on client and printer-specific driver on server,
>    send application-specific data (read pdfs)
> 3. Use generic postscript driver on client and printer-specific
>    driver on server, send postscript
>
> Windows->Windows does (1). The article suggests (2). I want (3) for
> performance reasons.

Your perceived performance problems might disappear (or be mitigated, at
least) by using one of the hpcups PPDs, which require a non-free plugin.
In a quick test with a largish, moderately complex PDF the processing
time of the filters went from 40 seconds to 10 seconds.

Regards,

Brian.