[cups] How to get cupsd running?

Brian Potkin claremont102 at gmail.com
Thu May 19 11:56:19 PDT 2016

On Thu 19 May 2016 at 14:21:03 -0400, Alan McConnell wrote:

> On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 05:53:55PM +0100, Brian Potkin wrote:
> >
> > > question of how to get my Canon MF4770n working under Debian jessie(It
> > > worked fine under wheezy).
> > >
> > > 1.  When I try   http://localhost:6.3.1, I get the message:
> > >        Unable to connect.
> >
> > Is that a typo? Please say it is.
>      	  <LOL>  It ain't.  The next line is:
> 	     Iceweasel can't establish a connection to the
> 	     server at localhost:631.
> 	  You'll see the same screen if you try putting e.g.
> 	       glumdalclitch.com
> 	  in the Firefox address window.

The correct answer was:

  Yes - it is a typo. I meant  http://localhost:631

Unless, of course,  I (and others) are not seeing "6.3.1" and it is some
artifact of your mail system (or mine).

> > > 2.  When I try cupsd -t, I get:  cupsd: undefined symbol: httpAddrFamily .
> > >     But I grep all over the place to find httpAddrFamily, but can't find
> > >     it.
> >
> > You have tested the configuration file for syntax error. cupsd thinks
> > you have some. Have you looked for them in the file?
>           I'm sorry I used the sloppy phrase "grep all over the place".
> 	  Using 'grep' is how I look for stuff, e.g. for  httpAddrFamily .

You didn't answer the question. Careful reading and examinatination of
cupsd.conf reveals no syntax errors? Everything is kosher?

> > > I have tried changing, in the file    Canon_MF4700_Series.ppd,
> > > the line containing the offending pstoufr2cpca to
> > >    *cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups-raster 0 -"  as suggested by
> > >    Helge, but it didn't help.
> >
> > With that line you will not be using pstoufr2cpca. But you need
> > pstoufr2cpca to print on your printer.
>   	 Perhaps I do.  But I've got that in my /usr/lib/cups/filter/
> 	 directory, and having it doesn't help.

You may have. Have you read the Debian wiki? What do you take away from
it?

> > > I am at a standstill.  Has someone any other suggestion?  Am I the
> > > only person on this E-list who is using a Canon three-in-one?
> >
> > Pass.
>   	OK.   Someone else?

Me. I have a print queue for your printer. It works perfectly.