[cups] Linux->(Linux, Windows) printer sharing with drivers on the server

Brian Potkin claremont102 at gmail.com
Thu May 19 17:06:04 PDT 2016

On Fri 20 May 2016 at 01:37:25 +0300, Ivan Shapovalov wrote:

> On 2016-05-19 at 17:46 +0100, Brian Potkin wrote:
> > On Thu 19 May 2016 at 17:49:58 +0300, Ivan Shapovalov wrote:
> >
> > > There are four possible configurations for remote printing with
> > > cups:
> > > 0. Do not run cupsd on client, connect directly to cupsd on server
> > >    (ruled out because it is too invasive)
> >
> > I was going to suggest you stick a note on a notice board with Alex
> > Korobkin's advice or the CUPS_SERVER environment variable on it
> > but...:)
> >
> > cupsd does not need to stopped.
> >
> > Am I correct in assuming you have no control of clients wanting to
> > access the server?
>
> Exactly.

Speaking from the perspective of someone with a Debian setup but this
will probably apply to other distributions too.

Since CUPS 1.6.x cups-browsed should be installed. The Bonjour
broadcasts from your server will be picked up and the P1505 displayed in
print dialogs. A user says she cannot see them because cups-browsed is
not installed (and she has no appliactions using the GTK print dialog)?
Tough luck - your server, your rules. Point her to a client.conf after
explaining the benefits of having a standard installation.

You also use CUPS broadcasting on the server with cups-browsed. That
caters for pre-1.6.x CUPS users.

Performance considerations on the server? You believe a user is better
served by submitting a PS file to the queue on the server. Set up
Tea4CUPS to convert whatever the user submits to PostScript and then
send it to the print queue on the server. Totally invisible to the user;
everyone is happy. :)