[cups] empty page_log file

Spike spike at drba.org
Tue May 24 08:38:44 PDT 2016

thanks Brian and Johannes.

@Brian, I was so confused by it that I "regarded it as empty", but you're
totally right and thanks for mentioning MaxLogSize 0, that's definitely a
better choice

@Johannes, thanks for all the info, it was very helpful. Indeed I tested
commenting out hpps from the ppd and printing works fine on the HP LaserJet
Pro MFP m225dw .

I do accounting through cups and page_log so I don't care as much for HP's
internal accounting, but the econ mode is often used for draft docs and I'd
like to figure out a solution to keep it.

Given that the filter is in python I'm wondering how hard is it to add
support for PAGE info, especially since the same info seems already written
to STDOUT as part of the HPAccountingInfo section:

https://github.com/twaugh/hplip/blob/master/prnt/filters/hpps#L202

does anybody have any example of what it takes to write to the page_log? I
looked at other filters in /usr/lib/cups/filter and "textonly" has a bunch
of echo "PAGE...." . is that it?

thanks,

Spike