[cups] printing files of type PJL encapsulated PostScript document text

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Nov 16 07:38:23 PST 2016

Matthias,

> On Nov 16, 2016, at 6:45 AM, Matthias Apitz <guru at unixarea.de> wrote:
> It seems that the sequence <Esc>(s0p3b10h12V is the problem, I can not
> even find this in my PCL manuals. When I change this to <Esc>(s0P only
> (note the capital 'P') it prints fine, printing the rest '3b10h12V' just
> as it were normal text.
>
> Any comments?

This command sequence is documented in many places, including an old HP PCL 5 quick reference booklet I have from many years ago that covers the HP LaserJet III to 4MV printers.  I suspect the printer you are using does not implement the full set of PCL font commands, or has problems with "chaining" of commands with the same prefix, e.g.:

    ESC(s0p3b10h12V

is the same as

    ESC(s0P           (monospace/fixed width text)
    ESC(s3B           (bold text)
    ESC(s10H          (10 characters per inch)
    ESC(s12V          (6 lines per inch - 72/12=6)