[cups] Unable to use raw and InputSlot options together

Hal Maner hmaner at msystemsintl.com
Tue Oct 4 10:56:04 PDT 2016

Hello CUPS users,

We are porting an application from AIX (used to use qprt) to Linux (using lp).  The application makes heavy use of specific printing features, uses nroff, other formatting, even uses special circuitry in some printers to print signatures, etc.

We have been able to find working solutions for the vast majority of print options but the following is a problem and I am hoping that someone has run into this before and that there is a working solution or idea:

We are working with a couple of HP LaserJet 4250 printers that have multiple trays, envelope feeder, etc.  This particular program has to send a letter to the "high capacity" tray that also has some commands that require "raw".

It seems I can do this and have the output come out on the right tray but with garbled output due to lack of raw:

lp -o InputSlot=HighCapacity -d jbprinter  sample.ltr

It seems I can do this and have the output come out on the *wrong* tray but with correct output because I am using raw:

lp -o InputSlot=HighCapacity -o raw -d jbprinter  sample.ltr

It seems that when we use -o raw, the InputSlot option is being ignored.

So, how can I use -o raw *and* be able to choose the correct tray for the printer with -o InputSlot=HighCapacity?

Thank you,

H Maner