[cups] Loading an icm file from a ppd file?

Alan Corey alan01346 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 14:05:02 PDT 2016

> If you read the cited document properly, you will notice that ? currently ?
> the only
> system on which ICC profiles are supported is MacOS with ColorSync and only

I rarely read anything properly but I gave it a quick try and got:
E [09/Oct/2016:17:57:06 -0400] [cups-driverd] Bad driver information
file "/usr/share/ppd/custom/HP_cp2025dn_2014_colormunki.icm"!

> with the Apple proprietary filters.
> As far as I know, the filters of the open printing cups-filters package do
> not support
> ICC profile files.

Huh?  Windows 95 supported them, I'm shocked that 20 years later CUPS
doesn't support them yet.  I thought somehow between CUPS, Hpcups,
hplij, and Gutenprint there would be something.

> If your printer is configured to use PostScript (it supports a PS
> interpreter (level 3)
> by default) it would be possible to write a special filter that supports the
> cupsICCProfile
> PPS keywords using the spice utility from the littlecms-2 package.

I know it natively supports PostScript because a year or so ago I
wrote some simple graphics in Postscript to be sure no application was
going to scale them and sent them directly to the printer.  I'm not a
fan of PCL at all.  Yet Hpcups apparently generated a PPD file that
has PCL in the name:

*PPD-Adobe: "4.3"
*%%%% PPD file for HP Color LaserJet cp2025dn with CUPS.
*%%%% Created by the CUPS PPD Compiler CUPS v1.7.5.
*% (c) 2008 Copyright Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
*FormatVersion: "4.3"
*FileVersion: "3.14.6"
*LanguageVersion: English
*LanguageEncoding: ISOLatin1
*PCFileName: "hp-color_laserjet_cp2025dn-pcl3.ppd"

It's also apparently using RGB color space instead of CMYK for some
reason.  The printer has CMYK toner cartridges in it.

Somewhere I saw that in some GUI you should select the printer mode as
color with some ICC profile (haven't found that yet), I was hoping it
was possible to call the profile from the PPD.  I have Windows (XP)
set up that way, it loads the profile into the printer driver so it
works with all applications.  And a little application works like
xcalib and loads the display profile at boot.  Applications don't need
to know anything about color management, it's done at a lower level.

I have little CMS installed, I'll look into it.

--
Credit is the root of all evil.  - AB1JX