[cups] CUPS & PAM

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Oct 13 06:27:42 PDT 2016

Hi,

> On Oct 13, 2016, at 6:35 AM, Дмитрий Воронин <carriingfate92 at yandex.ru> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I use CUPS 2.1.3 with PAM authentication on Debian 8.
> I have those rows in /etc/pam.d/cups:
>
> @include common-auth
> @include common-account
> @include common-session
>
> (it's default settings for CUPS service)
>
> I make some IPP request to CUPS, CUPS ask me a password for user. If I entered incorrect password, faillog on this user increses on 2. Why?

Not sure, nobody has ever reported this, but if there were 2 failed requests that is probably why...

> The next possible question is: Why CUPS create 2 clients to handle 1 IPP request (in error_log on Debug mode 'debug'):

The client connecting to the server did so twice.  Without more information it is impossible to say why this is the case, but the error_log just reports what is happening - the server (cupsd) does not synthesize artificial client connections, it just creates them in response to a socket connection.