[cups] CUPS & PAM

Dmitry Voronin carriingfate92 at yandex.ru
Fri Oct 14 03:02:28 PDT 2016

Hello,

> The client connecting to the server did so twice. Without more information it is impossible to say why this is the case, but the error_log just reports what is happening - the server (cupsd) does not synthesize artificial client connections, it just creates them in response to a socket connection.

I make a test example to recreate situation.

So, I have local user in Debian 8 with name 'lpadm' (so, it's user, who send IPP request to CUPS, change this in pamtest.c). lpadm is in lpadmin group. I set password by 'passwd' command.
I create printer 'printer' with 'default' policy (I call CUPS to get all jobs from those printer).
I change 'default' policy in cupsd.conf by adding those lines:

<Limit CUPS-Get-Jobs>
  AuthType Default
  Require valid-user
  Order deny,allow
</Limit>

(before <Limit All> row of  default's <Policy> tag)

Next, I set settings of cups server:

# cupsctl --remote-user --share-printers --remote-any
# cupsctl ServerAlias=*

I add my hostname in /etc/cups/client.conf:
ServerName 192.168.32.227

And I restart CUPS server:
# service cups restart

Compile test program and run:
$ make
$ ./pamtest
/* CUPS asks me for password
 * we enter incorrect password
 * and get something in error_log like I sent early
 */

In attachement pamtest.c source code program and Makefile to building.

--
Best regards, Dmitry Voronin