[cups] Unable to print via CUPS from MacOS Sierra

Lucian Botha lucianbotha at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 05:08:19 PDT 2016

We have a CUPS server running on Ubuntu 14.04 which has about 10 HP
printers configured. We have a mix of Windows, Linux and Mac clients
printing to the server flawlessly.

Flawlessly, until some of the Macs were upgraded to Sierra recently. Now,
if a user tries to print via the server, the client behaves normally, as
does cups. The job is processed through the server and the job log shows
the job printed ok. However, nothing emerges out of the printer. The Mac
clients can print directly to the printer using AirPrint.

We had an older version of cups so we built a new 16.04 server with the
latest cups, same result. We can print directly to the printer from the
print server on port 9100 so that part is working ok.

Is it safe to assume the problem does not lie with cups, rather with MacOS
12.12? Anyone have any troubleshooting ideas?