[cups] Setting up a brother that can do duplex, to make it do duplex?

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Fri Oct 28 15:08:44 PDT 2016

Greetings;

Asking here because its a PITA to try and talk to Brother, they know zip
about linux or cups. Folks here are generally quite knowledgeable, and I
appreciate it.

If I want to use this printers 11x17 print mode, I found I had to setup a
profile just for 11x17 paper.  Thats understandable. Feeding the paper
straight in is a PIMA, but thats the rules of this game.

But for normal printing, it seems as if I ought to be able to select the
tray of paper to use, and whether or not I can want duplex, with either
tray, or even paper orientation vs image on the paper.  Or paper weight.

But I can't, so I gave up and just let it use tray 1 full of heavy,
glossy on both sides, photo paper for a 50 page B&W text job.  Then it
came out wrong side up and to put it in page order, I had to turn a 50
page, nearly a pound of paper over one page at a time. Not to mention
that each page laid on the stack, must be held there for a couple
seconds to keep it from floating off the table, which is level.

I am beginning to think I am going to have to add 3 or 4 more "Printers",
each one configured to do just a single style of job.

Is this the usual procedure, or are the brother drivers being super
pickity about what they deign to do?

Thanks everybody.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)