[cups] Setting up a brother that can do duplex, to make it do duplex?

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Fri Oct 28 19:42:43 PDT 2016

On Friday 28 October 2016 18:40:24 Jerry wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Oct 2016 18:08:44 -0400, Gene Heskett stated:
> >Greetings;
> >
> >Asking here because its a PITA to try and talk to Brother, they know
> >zip about linux or cups. Folks here are generally quite
> > knowledgeable, and I appreciate it.
> >
> >If I want to use this printers 11x17 print mode, I found I had to
> >setup a profile just for 11x17 paper.  Thats understandable. Feeding
> >the paper straight in is a PIMA, but thats the rules of this game.
> >
> >But for normal printing, it seems as if I ought to be able to select
> >the tray of paper to use, and whether or not I can want duplex, with
> >either tray, or even paper orientation vs image on the paper.  Or
> >paper weight.
> >
> >But I can't, so I gave up and just let it use tray 1 full of heavy,
> >glossy on both sides, photo paper for a 50 page B&W text job.  Then
> > it came out wrong side up and to put it in page order, I had to turn
> > a 50 page, nearly a pound of paper over one page at a time. Not to
> > mention that each page laid on the stack, must be held there for a
> > couple seconds to keep it from floating off the table, which is
> > level.
> >
> >I am beginning to think I am going to have to add 3 or 4 more
> >"Printers", each one configured to do just a single style of job.
> >
> >Is this the usual procedure, or are the brother drivers being super
> >pickity about what they deign to do?
> >
> >Thanks everybody.
> >
> >Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> I have two Brothers printers, both laser jets, and they work
> reasonably well. Not as well as they do under Windows, but I am on a
> FreeBSD machine and Brother does not make drivers for FreeBSD.
>
> Brother does make drivers for Linux,
> http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linux/en/index.html?c=us_ot&lang=en&
>comple=on&redirect=on

I think I am useing those.

> You did not mention what model printer you have.

MFC-J6920DW, and its a fully uptodate debian wheezy install on quad core
amd64 hardware.

> In my case, they did
> not have a specific PPD file for my printer, so I copied the PPD file
> that came with the Brother printer. It was supposed to work under
> Windows; however, it worked fine under CUPS.

Humm, never gave that a passing thought, my bad. I don't recall looking
on the cd that came with it.  I'll do that tomorrow if I can find it.

> You should probably check out this page too:
> http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linux/en/evaluation.html?c=us_ot&lan
>g=en&redirect=on

BTDT, is where I got these drivers.  Even for a wheezy install, they are
all ancient.

Thanks for the nudge in the ribs, Jerry.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)