[cups] Setting up a brother that can do duplex, to make it do duplex?

G.W. Haywood cups at jubileegroup.co.uk
Sat Oct 29 04:01:58 PDT 2016

Hi there,

On Sat, 29 Oct 2016, Gene Heskett wrote:

> ... its a PITA to try and talk to Brother, they know zip ...

Yeah, agreed.  I'm a Brother reseller.

> On Sat, 29 Oct 2016, Jerry wrote:
>
> > You did not mention what model printer you have.
>
> ... its a fully uptodate debian wheezy install ...

Hmmm.  I think you'll find that a "fully uptodate debian wheezy" is
running CUPS 1.5.3 which _can_ be made to do things but IMHO is not
really fit for purpose.  You will find that the version which comes
with Jessie (1.7.5) is much better, if still rather out of date.

On Sat, 29 Oct 2016, Jerry wrote:

> > On Sat, 29 Oct 2016 08:26:07 +0200, Helge Blicke stated:
> >
> > ... The best way to get the suitable PPD is to copy it from a
> > Windows 7 (or even, sigh, from an outdated XP) installation.
>
> The PPD can be copied from any version of Windows. I got mine from a
> Windows 10 Pro.

I've seen several references to the difficulties of getting PPDs from
later versions of Windows drivers.  This is the first time I've seen
anyone say it's easily done from any version.  If indeed that's what
you said.  In the absence of what I'd call documentation one day I
plan to find out what a PPD is, what it contains and why I would want
one, but for now I'd be happy just to know how to grab one from a
Windows installation.  Care to share?

--

73,
Ged.