[cups] Setting up a brother that can do duplex, to make it do duplex?

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun Oct 30 05:59:17 PDT 2016

On Sunday 30 October 2016 05:59:45 Jerry wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Oct 2016 12:01:58 +0100 (BST), G.W. Haywood stated:
> >Hi there,
> >
> >On Sat, 29 Oct 2016, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> ... its a PITA to try and talk to Brother, they know zip ...
> >
> >Yeah, agreed.  I'm a Brother reseller.

> >> ... its a fully uptodate debian wheezy install ...
> >
> >Hmmm.  I think you'll find that a "fully uptodate debian wheezy" is
> >running CUPS 1.5.3 which _can_ be made to do things but IMHO is not
> >really fit for purpose.  You will find that the version which comes
> >with Jessie (1.7.5) is much better, if still rather out of date.

> >> The PPD can be copied from any version of Windows. I got mine from
> >> a Windows 10 Pro.
> >
> >I've seen several references to the difficulties of getting PPDs from
> >later versions of Windows drivers.  This is the first time I've seen
> >anyone say it's easily done from any version.  If indeed that's what
> >you said.  In the absence of what I'd call documentation one day I
> >plan to find out what a PPD is, what it contains and why I would want
> >one, but for now I'd be happy just to know how to grab one from a
> >Windows installation.  Care to share?
>
> Okay, that can gt a little tricky. All Windows PPDs are kept under
> "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository"; however, if you know
> what you are looking for, it might be easier to just look in
> "C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\x64\3".
>
> This is for 64 bit drivers. I am not sure about 32 bit ones.
>
> BTW, you can usually locate the PPD file on the CD disc and just
> install from there. You might want to make sure the EOL is correct
> though.

I found the cd that came with it last night, while looking for an hdmi to
dvd-i adapter & failed to find one. I have a raspberry pi 3 laying here
that is going to run via cnc, a new to me 1952 Sheldon lathe, but
without that adapter, I can only ssh into it.  So there are some
networking things I won't modify until I have direct keyboard access.

Oh oh, out of caffiene, must go make more & check on my lady.

I'll look on that cd when I've got a hot cuppa at hand.

Thanks Jerry.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)