[cups] Setting up a brother that can do duplex, to make it do duplex?

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Sun Oct 30 10:40:01 PDT 2016

Gene,

Have you tried using sub-printers?

Eg, I have this in my ~/.cups/lpotions :

Default eco Duplex=DuplexNoTumble Optionalduplexer=True
Dest eco/booklet number-up=2 Duplex=DuplexTumble Optionalduplexer=True
Dest eco/simplex Duplex=None Optionalduplexer=True
Dest eco/short Duplex=DuplexTumble Optionalduplexer=True
Dest eco/gtk number-up=1

The last two entries are to work around gtk's buggy cups interactions.
You also need to `chattr +i ~/.cups/lpotions` to have it remain human-
readable if you use any gtk programs to print.

That gives me eco as my default, with duplexing on and lets me use
eco/simplex to turn duplex off, or eco/short when I'm printing landscape
pages in duplex, or eco/booklet when I want two pages per side.

You should be able to set a Default entry for your printer and add
additional Dest entries with each modification you want.

Run:

  :; lpoptions -p $PRINTER -l

filling in $PRINTER as appropriate to get the list of options you can
add to those Default and Dest lines for that printer.  The string before
the first / is the one which goes into lpoptions.

brother_mfcj6920dw_printer_en.ppd has several OpenUI sections which
would be useful for defining such sub-printers.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos at jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 0x997A9F17ED7DAEA6