[cups-devel] CUPS running on alternative port and alternative domain socket: Access via localhost restricted

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 14:12:43 PDT 2016

On 10/12/2016 04:35 PM, Michael Sweet wrote:
> Till,
>More than likely PAM isn't allowing your snap-based CUPS install to
authenticate against local user accounts (the error_log should say
something).

I do not find any hint to PAM in the error_log, even not in debug2 mode.

I also can execute the functions by entering the password.

> There are some tricks that libcups uses to switch to the domain socket for local access when port 631 is specified, which would bypass PAM and the authentication stuff.  But the same will not happen when connecting to port 10631.

Probably this is the reason why this happens.

Could you modify the trick from localhost:631 being replaced by the
domain socket to localhost:<port on which current cupsd is running>
being replaced by the domain socket? This way CUPS would be completely
consistent.

    Till