[cups] CUPS questions

Dmitry Voronin carriingfate92 at yandex.ru
Sat Sep 17 00:25:51 PDT 2016

Hello,

I have some questions about CUPS. Today we use CUPS 2.1.3 on Debian 8.

1. Why CUPS service run by superuser (root)? As for me, it's very dangerous for security, because if someone can get unauthorized access, he can operate with superuser rights. So, can CUPS will be run with ordinary user (not root)?

2. Why directory /var/spool/cups has group lp? Is it needed for utilites like lp, lpstat and so on?

3. We develop application with GUI, that can operate with user jobs. Updating of list of jobs is implemented by subscription mechainsm. We would like to have in attributes, that we get by IPP request Get-Notifications, attribute job-originating-user-name.
Or we would like to create subscription on job's events, in witch we have data of events by user.

4. We think that attribute of IPP request Get-Jobs 'limit' should define number of jobs with end (not with start, as now).

Thank you.

--
Best regards, Dmitry Voronin