[cups] rtf to pdf conversion using cupsfilter

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Sep 28 01:22:51 PDT 2016

Hello,

On Sep 27 23:21 Paquin, Brian wrote (excerpt):
> I need a server-friendly solution...
>>> In Mac OS X 10.9, we were able to convert RTF documents into PDF
>>> But cupsfilter on OS 10.11 is missing that functionality

Provided you know a command line that actually works for you
to convert RTF input (from stdin) into PDF output (on stdout)
i.e. a command line that works as traditional Unix filter
(in particular no GUI stuff):

I don't have Mac OS X - I only use Linux - nevertheless
if there is no similar documentation available for Mac OS X
perhaps the following Linux documentation might help a bit
how you could implement on Mac OS X that CUPS could run
your selfmade filters for print job processing:

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Filters_to_Print_with_CUPS

But as far as I noticed I think there could be special
restrictions on Mac OS X (I think called "sandbox")
that may prohibit that CUPS on Mac OS X can run
arbitrary selfmade filtering programs.

Of course if such documentation is available especially
for Mac OS X better use that.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)