[cups] Provide password for CLI tools

Stephan stephanwib at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 4 00:17:11 PDT 2017

Michael,

using the CUPS-Create-Local-Printer operation was my first idea, however it
cannot be invoked remotely. lpadmin cannot silently create remote IPP
everywhere queues when authentication is required. I want to prevent adding
other ways talking to the CUPS servers insted of the scheduler itself (e.g.
SSH with authentication keys). If I understand correctly, the new dynamic
API is a good thing for desktops, but isnĀ“t really usable in my datacenter
scenario where several 10.000s of printers are managed on dozens of print
servers.

One last thing that comes to my mind is the Webinterface. Would it be
possible to connect to it in a REST style fashion and add IPP everywhere
queues?