[cups] filtering available printers, group separation and multiple cups instances on one server

Spike spike at drba.org
Thu Apr 27 11:43:29 PDT 2017

Hi,

as we've grown and added printers to serve different offices we've ended up
with several complaints related to printouts ending up to the wrong
printer. This is understandable as a user may be trying to adjust something
in the printer dialogue and by accident select the wrong printer.

We've looked for options, but there doesn't seem to be any way in cups to
filter the list of printers returned by a server, sort of applying an ACL.

In lieu of that, we created an additional cups server and pointed each
client to the right one. This worked for a while, but we would soon need to
add a new one and I can see a trend that I don't like... especially since
load wise this isn't warranted, we don't need more machines, we just need
to filter the printers.

Have I missed it and this is possible somehow? if not, how can we run
multiple cups server? we run Ubuntu xenial with systemd.

Thanks in advance for any input,

Spike