[cups] Proxying IPP requests

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Apr 27 16:59:10 PDT 2017

Alex,

At this time there is no supported way to do IPP over a proxy with CUPS.  Conceptually you could do this with DNS/host file tricks (where the local hosts file or DNS server points clients to a proxy server for all printers, which then forwards requests to the actual printer), and I'm aware of a few people that use ssh port forwarding, but that's about it.

(as for the "why", it is mainly because proxy servers typically do not like proxying POST requests containing gigabytes of upstream data, and some still lack proper support for chunking...)